Thursday, December 2, 2010

Oh Winter, My Old Friend and Foe



 Winter wonderland, winter woes.  What will it be?  Woe is me I believe it will be a long one whatever the precipitation may be.  The sun sets too early in the afternoon and I slip and fall on the way to my car in the parking lot, I reflect on the long, cold, wintry months.  In the bleak and dreary chilly nights I find myself enjoying more than ever the bright and cheerful Christmas decorations gracing my home.  A smile and a sense of wonder seizes me when I watch flakes as big as feathers float down in the distant street light.  I take another sip of my peppermint hot chocolate and whisper my holiday dreams to Santa as if he can hear.  The neighbor's Christmas lights cast a multicolored hue on the snow as I snatch the newspaper out of the biting chill.  Curled up, reading by my fire with the lights of the Christmas tree cast shadows dancing in the dark.  My heart warms with thanksgiving for the gifts of a home, family, friends, and the dogs lounging at my feet.
All of this draws my mind to the true nature of the holiday season, the worship of the Son of God.  He was given to all peoples thousands of years ago as an atonement for the sins of the world.  A living hope for all people, of all nations, for all time.  What a wondrous, miraculous blessing.  This causes my surroundings to grow still and silent in the night while starlight through the window still illuminates the glory of the Lord of hosts.
Merry Christmas!

No comments: